Re: [MiNT] Kernel tests

>The real problem is that the ROM AES is not written to be used with MiNT.
>The ROM AES never sleeps, it uses polling to interrogate mouse/keyboard
>events. Thus it makes the system load always high, being always ready to
>run. The ROM AES likes to run in supervisor mode, thus blocking the
>multitasking. The ROM AES, finally, can never be shutdown properly, and this
>makes a danger, that the filesystem caches will not be flushed back to the
>media before the power goes off.
>
>Also, the possibility of launching ROM AES directly by MiNT was not
>introduced to MiNT with the AES of TOS 1/2/3 or 4 in mind, simply because of
>the reasons above. The possibility was done for the TOS 5.0, and its
>multitasking AES, which (the TOS) never came officially out. The feature is
>thus: a) useless, b) dangerous, c) confusing.

Ok, good there is a real reason for blocking it then. Thanks for clearing the technical side of it.

>You can of course launch the XaAES directly from the shell (hoping that it
>manages to set the resolution properly, and reset it back later).
>
>You can also write a small program, that launches your ROM AES, name the
>program sh.tos, and put it inside your mint/ folder on the boot drive. This
>is the best option, because doing so you use the ROM AES on your own risk
>and responsibility, not ours.

I get the idea. I just find it very odd that a program named sh.tos is loaded without being specified in
any config. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

>> Unless you are
>> suggesting that this setting still doesn't allow possibility to load
>> built-in AES?
>
>Indeed. This only excludes the internal shell, if someone particularly hated
>it.

I don't really see a point with it tbh, so having it built-in by default seem a bit unnecessary.

>really take them as granted, since these are not required to boot the
>system. These files are *optional*, although you may be right, that error
>messages ("error -33") during the boot process are to be avoided, because
>this usually confuses picky users.

Indeed.

Regards,

Joakim