Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 12:39, Frank Naumann wrote:
> > No, that's not true. One reason is that /dev/aranym might be an overkill
> > for some purposes.
>
> But introducing new syscalls is not overkill?

Syscall is easier to call and better resembles the calling nature of the
NatFeats, IMHO.

> > The other reason is that /dev/aranym would force non-MiNT users to
> > install TSR hacks.
>
> And new syscalls don't force non-MiNT users to install TSR hacks?

That was a reply to another quote - that one about using the illegal
instructions directly. Don't mix things up :)

> I just want to see the difference about introducing new syscalls or adding
> a new device.

>From OS point of view there is no difference. But I am thinking about
the amount of code at the other side and also about the speed penalty.

> > Some things are better done easily at first, than never. Just IMHO.
>
> I can't aggree from the point of software development.

I knew you would say that. It's good that you are the FreeMiNT
maintainer. If I were doing your job I would allow almost anything to go
to the kernel :) But I would also be doing releases more often and so
potential problems would be fixed earlier ;-))

> Early failures will follow you for years into your dreams :-)

Ever heard of eXtreme Programming (XP)?

These years of careful but slow development might end up in a moment
when product is ready (at last) but there are no potential customers
(users) left.

Petr