Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 16:45, Odd Skancke wrote:
> > __NF) copy... to the kerne code. Now we're cooking, eh?
>
> IMHO FreeMiNT should generate the NF cookie and the rest of NF cookie

 Comments on this in other postings...

> > Fine and dandy, but change ARAnyM instead of changing the software to
> > make things work.
>
> I answered this in another e-mail (hint: aranym is not an emulator of
> existing hardware). Besides that, kernel is a special case of software.
> It's not a thing (like an application) that should run on any piece of
> hardware without customizing. Actually that's the kernel's job - to
> provide environment for all applications and allow them to make the best
> use of the available hardware.

 No, most decent OS implementations use drivers to support new hardware.

> > ShockHorror, CT60 really made it!
>
> Frankly, I didn't believe in 2000 that CT60 would make it. I am pleased
> to see it actually works and most of my friends have bought it already.
>
> > This means that plans are to make MiNT
> > more and more emulation-friendly. Can you promise me that this wont
> > happen?
>
> This is really interesting point. You want me to promise that we stop
> developing new features. You want yourself to stay back in 20th century
> and not follow the progress of other computer platforms. Well, I can't
> promise you that we stop the development - although I can tell you that
> my today's disappointment is bigger than usually.

 I never asked you to stop development. I asked you not to fill the kernel
with ARAnyM specific code. Supporting new hardware should happend via
drivers. If we lack something in this repsect, lets add a better API to
the FreeMiNT kernel, and have new things supported that way. Adding things
to the FreeMiNT kernel in terms of functionality can only be a good thing,
as long as it is kept such that it does not depend on the platform it runs
on.

--
 Regards,

 Odd Skancke - ozk.atari.org - http://assemsoft.atari.org