Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 00:16, Lonny Pursell wrote:
> > I'd rather see you guys
> > split the CVS and spin off your own "free" OS.  Then you can hack it up
> > as you like and not upset anyone.
>
> There are last 4 developers (or maybe 8 but not much more than that)
> working for FreeMiNT and you'd still prefer the fragmentation. The
> strenght is in the unity, not in breaking efforts into smaller and
> smaller ones.
>
> I am wondering how such a clear thing can't be understood by the
> remaining atarians.

 Well.. we tend to get the impression that NatFeats, ARAnyM (or EMU)
specific things are finding their ways into the FreeMINT kernel itself. As
pointed out before, adding features to the kernel is nothing but a
positive great thing, but only if 'generalized' such that the
hardware/architecture dependant parts is loaded from a driver/XDD. I
almost lost my temper over this to start with, but I see now that it does
help to be suggestive/helpful instead of letting anger take control ;-)

 But I still agree with Lonny, if the kernel is getting loaded with NF
code, checks for this and that, etc. etc. slowing it down on real
hardware, it would be better to split it.  But that would surely kill
whats left of the 'real'-atarians. We MUST avoid that!

--
 Regards,

 Odd Skancke - ozk.atari.org - http://assemsoft.atari.org