Re: [MiNT] fVDI issues

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 09:28, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> >> Yes, the same for the AES. Ideally, the AES should be a bunch of
> >> shared libraries executing completely in user mode, plus one screen
> >> manager process, perhaps. This would solve memory access problems to
> >> a great extent, I suppose.
> >
> > Maybe. But you still have the problem to go back to usermode after the
> > process has trapped (e.g. entering kernel -> leaving kernel).
>
> This is why I agree with Johan's statement that the fact that we are stuck
> with trap #2 is quite unfortunate.

Theoretically we can design a new standard for AES/VDI under FreeMiNT.
Say that there would be a FreeMiNT with "integrated" AES and VDI that
would not use the TRAP #2 but would call themselves directly.

The next step would be to enhance some most used GEM libraries to allow
using this FreeMiNT direct (avoiding TRAP #2) access to AES and VDI
functions (if it is available, otherwise falling back to proven TRAP #2
and so keeping compatibility with TOS and MagiC).

End user applications would need no change - users would just upgrade
their *gem.slb.

The TRAP #2 AES/VDI entry would still be used for old apps as a safe
fallback but applications built on modern GEM libraries would fly with
speed of light.

Petr