Re: [MiNT] Shared libs without MMU resources

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> the MiNT and its community is already dead. If there was a direction and
> goal, it would probably say that mc68000 is unsupported by FreeMiNT 2.0
> which is to contain the following features

This is what I proposed a long time ago. Dropping 68K support (or 4MB for
that matter) doesn't mean ST users can't run MiNT anymore, it just means
they'll have to stick to 1.16, which is ok since they wouldn't have much
use for the new 2.0 features anyway. Bugfixes and new things that ARE
interesting for STs could be retrofitted in the 1.x branch. Same goes for
dropping compatibility with old legacy problems. You want real Unix power
combined with modern AES apps? Run MiNT 2.x. You want MiNT as it is now,
compatible with old stuff and still nice pre-emptive multitasking,
networking and some other nifty features? Run 1.x.

If you view the branches like that, I'd say the 1.x branch is pretty much
finished. We can stop feeling guilty and start feeling proud of it.. and
start work on 2.0 :)

Maurits.