Re: [MiNT] Cross-compiler

A very good idea! If you have your cross compiler working, please post your
steps here or mail it to me - or write a little readme

That was also my intention :-)

I've got now a running cross compiler (without compilation of binutils and gcc because they already exist in the system). After some experiments I got a first test application ("Hello World" TOS application) to compile nicely.
To do this I moved the MiNT-Lib arround.

So I have now some general questions about cross-compiling and GCC:
I've build and installed the cross-compiler using "--prefix=/usr/local/cross-tools". This gives me
a file tree like this (in the /usr/local/cross-tools folder):
	bin/
		m68k-atari-mint-addr2line
         m68k-atari-mint-ar
		m68k-atari-mint-as
		m68k-atari-mint-c++
		m68k-atari-mint-readelf
		m68k-atari-mint-size
		m68k-atari-mint-strings
		m68k-atari-mint-strip
	include/
		c++/
			3.3.3/
	info/
	lib/
		gcc-lib/
	m68k-atari-mint/
		bin/
			ar
			as
			c++
			ranlib
			strip
		lib/
			libiberty.a
			libstdc++.a
	man/
	share/

Can anyone explain me what are all the directories for?
Why is there in the m68k-atari-mint/bin/ folder the same program as in bin/ but the name has no "m68k-atari-mint" prefix? If I want to install/compile an atari library for use with my cross compiler, do I have to put the include and lib files in include/ and lib/ folder or into m68k-atari-mint/lib and m68k-atari-mint/include folder?

My problem is: where do I have to put the mintlib files for a proper cross-compiler installation? And in the future: How should I compile applications? (Using bin/m68k-atari-mint-gcc or
m68k-atari-mint/bin/gcc?) What's the difference?

(I know there is no difference because I didn't compile GCC for the Apple platform! And I used the compiler/binutils delivered with Apples development kit which are located in /usr/bin/ instead of /usr/local/cross-tools/)

Philipp