[MiNT] kerinfo availability?

Hi,

I am trying to update a XIF driver source code and am about to use the
kerinfo for the first time in my life. I was wondering - do I have to
check for mint version somehow before I am allowed to call the nf_ops
(if it's non-NULL, of course) of the kerinfo? Could there be an older
version of FreeMiNT or MiNT (MiNT is _now_ TOS or even older MiNT is
_not_ TOS) that would have too old and especially too short the kerinfo
struct?

I read through the doc/programmer/kerinfo.txt but didn't see anything
about its versioning or history and availability in general.

Thanks

Petr