[MiNT] Finally, 1.16.0 loads

On my TT030 that is. A mint.ini that turned memory protection off so it could load and generate its own mint.ini was what it took to do this. In other words, it will not load with memory protection defaulted to on.

But I am a little disappointed. If it wants to start loggers on its own, I can edit a .rc file, but then I cannot switch versions of MiNT kernels between 15 and 16. Or, at least, I have not
learned how to yet.

So far, whatever I tried, have been unable to start pppd using 1.16.0, which is really what I wanted to do, to see if a bug annoying to me lived in pppd or the kernel.

The new .xdd file that provides a tcp/ip stack is a neat idea, but then pppd does not run. I have tried all the dialers there are, and either they refused to work on a TT, could not find serial2, or just plain screwed up and did nothing. That one was probably the most automated. pppd was at least least bothersome. If there was some documentation on how to set up the peers file, it would be easy. What it took to get it running was mostly telling it to wait until the far end proposes a link start number, instead of just quitting. Yes, I had help, but it could have been a from a piece of paper. So we have the .xdd file, and nothing is proposed as a replacement for pppd.

This is being done from a STiNG stack, due to the bug that was the only known flaw in what I use MiNT for. Regardless of its display name, it is an e-mail typing crash bug, and I "hate it when that happens".

Are there any known workarounds for the things that make 1.16.0
not very useful to me? How do I get pppd running? Syslogd seems to get started in some way other than a .rc file, so that is OK. But pppd not running is not ok.

--
 /"\      Jim DeClercq--jimd@panix.com--Sylvania, Ohio, USA
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |