[MiNT] Bug located, not in pppd

The bug I have in mind had about the same frequency as the old Phantom Typist bug, and a typical one of these fatal errors was:

(AESSSYS): tcp_sndsig: seg: (1092741134 1092741135) outside wnd (1092741134 1092741134)

The numbers and apparent source process differed, but always involved
a one-unit seg not making it through a window with no opening.

Of course, the test strings involved are in the object code, when viewed with a binary editor.

So, I looked through MiNT kernel, N_AES, pppd, telnet, bash, and toswin, and found nothing. So I started in at other things, ext2.xfs, flop_raw.xdd, mfp.xdd, moose.xdd, scc.xdd, and sockdev.xdd, and finally found it. tcp_sndseg: seg: (%ld %ld) outside wnd (%ld %ld)

So, it is or was a spurious error from sockdev.xdd being reported as a fatal error from a variety of sources by a MiNT kernel. It was not, as the documentation suggests, a too-small stack problem.

I finally realized that I may have been greatly in error about 1.16.0
not running pppd. When looking for a version of sockdev.xdd with a different date or size, I came across a text file for slip, saying that was what provided pppd support in 1.16.0. Easier to install? Nope. Moved slip to where it should have been, and may try 1.16.0 again. But still it can't be made to work with a .rc init file that works with 1.15. Or at least it didn't when I tried it, since it failed to start syslogd.

I have no reason to believe that any changes were made to the coding for sockdev.xdd when moving it to some other file, so that bug is probably still there, but harder to find, and bothers only those who do a lot of typing, just as the old Phantom Typist bug, which lived in the keyboard handler bothered only certain people.

Source code must be available, so eventually I will find out what that tcp_sndseg error is supposed to catch.

Jim

--
 /"\      Jim DeClercq--jimd@panix.com--Sylvania, Ohio, USA
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |