Re: [MiNT] fstat long filename on TOS partition

Hello K****s

Selon Frederic Fouche <x130844@yahoo.com>:
> Shouldnt the OS handle automatically the conversion from LFN to short if the
> file is being written on a partition that doesnt support LFN?
> Or should the program handle the conversion to shorter names so the partition
> does not complain?

As long as you take some caution to choose filenames, you don't have to do any
special handling. It is the OS responsibility to make this as flawless as
possible.

For example, you can make sure chars 1-4 of each filename is unique for a given
directory. I assume 8.3 support use at least chars 1-4 of each filename (or a
hash of the full filename) on all OSes. This is true for FreeMiNT at least,
but I don't think you'll find any standard specifying this (I would be glad if
someone prove me I'm wrong).

For the files named by user, it is the user reponsibility to take such cautions.

Hope this helps,

Xavier