Re: [MiNT] appl_getinfo documentation bug?

Hello,

AB> XaAES convention is better: 0=no moose wheel support in the AES,
AB> 1=the AES extends some functions with mouse wheel data.

If a programm want to support the wheel function from XaAES it look to
appl_getinfo ( 11, out1 (WF_WHEEL) ... ). Or it use the magic 'MW' in
msgbuff[5] from the WM_ARROWED messages. So for what can I use the XaAES
convention?

You're right: the meaning of out3 in appl_getinfo(8) is obscure... the sentence "AES manage mouse wheel event" don't say anaything useful at all. The usefull information is WHAT are the AES features that the AES shall manage when out3=1.

To sum up, XaAES mouse wheel support is
- MU_WHEEL (evnt_multi)
- extended WM_ARROWED message ('MW') with standard WA_xxx modes
- wind_set(WF_WHEEL) and WM_ARROWED/WA_WHEEL message.

out1 in appl_getinfo(11) is for wind_set/get features only. The bit WF_WHEEL in out1 only implies that wind_set(WF_WHEEL) is supported, and as a consequence WM_ARROWED/WA_WHEEL message may be received on mouse wheel events.

So... out3=1 for appl_getinfo(8) may say that AES supports MU_WHEEL and extends standard WM_ARROWED messages (WA_WHEEL out of this scope).

This is just a proposal. We have to define the meaning of that 'out3' value !
Any comment ?

AB> then the application have to ask this to the mouse  driver.

How?

I don't know if mint/xaaes mouse driver provide such function.

BTW, it's similar to mouse button: the mouse button state is provided by the AES in a short integer (one bit per mouse button). An application can test if the left mouse button is pressed by reading mbutton & 0x1, the right mouse button by reading mbutton & 0x2, the middle mouse button by reading mbutton & 0x4, etc... An application doesn't ask the AES if the mouse used has 1, 2, 3 or more buttons, an application just have to check the expected bits of mbutton returned by the AES.

For mouse wheel... i don't see why this should be different. TORG105 (iirc) allows to read the value of 32 mouse wheels... well, the application (that is compatible with torg105) just has to read these 32 buffers. If the buffer is 0, then the corresponding mouse wheel has not moved (this may be because such mouse wheel doesn't exist, we don't care).

To sum up, an application don't need to know the number of mouse buttons, neither the number of mouse wheels. An application just has to mouse wheel and mouse button events reported by the AES.

best regards,
Arnaud.