Re: [MiNT] Disk Images

Hi!

I think that Mark thought about _real_ unix mounts. So that you are able to mount a filesystem to work over a specified file (or device).

This is not present in FreeMiNT so far and perhaps might come with Frank's device IO interface definition.

Also the isofs is in the works at least as one can read in the kernel CVS structure....

STanda

Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
I'll be getting a new larger IDE hard drive soon.  My MiNT installation
currently spans two IDE hard drives and this makes me realize somewhat
of an issue in moving the data over.  I was wondering is there any way
for MiNT to mount disk images as a drive letter?  Is there any software
on the atari to do this?  Also the ability to mount and read from ISO's
would be neat.

Atari disk image apps usually are TOS-based and know nothing about Unix stuff. :o) I don't know if there is any Unixy disk image system ported to MiNT, but also I don't see what exactly you want to solve with it. If you want to transfer an entire filesystem, tar should do the trick nicely. If you have all drives mounted at the same time you can even do it in one copy action with a "back-to-back-tar":

cd <sourcedir>
tar cvf - * | (cd <destinationdir> ; tar xvf -)

The first tar writes to stdout, the second tar reads from the first tar and puts everything in the new location, all permissions and ownerships in tact.

Or perhaps you wanted to put two disk images on the new harddisk to "simulate" your two old harddisks? That sounds like a bit of a kludge. The beauty about the Unix way of dealing with paths etc is that you can change your drive configuration transparantly, just change some mount points (symlinks in our case) :o) and all paths are correct.

Maurits.