Re: [MiNT] State of the Union

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 10:26 +0100, Frank Naumann wrote:
Hello!

> Now, I saw lots of Fpoll() in GEM.

What do you mean here?

Sorry - I should have worded that better.  I meant lots of messages with the subject line of "Fpoll() in GEM" which were discussing possible solutions for an integrated event loop.

Yes, it's a long post. I also lost the focus about what we discuss :-)

I'll paraphrase.  Basically, I was asking if there was an "approved" solution for an integrated event loop to handle both AES and GEMDOS style events, and what that solution was.  Also, if there is no such "official" solution yet, I was suggesting my own.

The suggestion, to simply a whole page of information and various reasons for this idea, is to use a device to feed AES events to GEM applications.   This removes much of the problems you would have with a pipe, although a socket would still be an alternative, I like the device idea better.  You can tell this device what sort of events you want with Fcntl() calls, and then simply wait on the opened file handle.

I further suggested that to implement this cleanly, the entire AES could be represented as a wrapper library around GEMDOS calls that talk to the device driver.  For example, appl_init() might open the device and get the file handle, appl_exit() would close it, evnt_multi() would set parameters and read from the device file handle and write into the supplied return values, etc.

I need to learn to make emails shorter I guess.

-- Evan