Re: [MiNT] New AES keyboard messages

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 01:49 -0500, Lonny Pursell wrote:

> No one suggested throwing old API's out.  Now you are going yet another
> direction entirely.  Throwing out old calls would fragment it even more.  Do
> you read anything you type??

I suggested to re-use the fields of evnt_multi() in a more or less
compatible way.   This was shot down because you couldn't have a 16 bit
scan-code.  So, please tell me how exactly you plan on implementing the
new call, and why a 16 bit scan code is so important.

So .. please show me the calling convention for the new event and what
fields report back what data to avoid this confusion in the future.
Maybe if we get on the same page, we could possibly agree on something
because everyone seems to have a different idea of what has been
suggested.

> >> If someone wants to spend the time... they will.  Remember, it's their time,
> >> not yours.
> >

> > Oh wow!  I shouldn't care about the developers?   Just screw them, huh?  Who
> > else is the OS API for?
>
> Where in the hell do you get that out of my statement?  I'm dealing with an

Its not my time, its theirs .. so why should I care?  Well, I do care.
Its everyone's time.

> idiot.  Nice turn around there, you are the one suggesting if the hardware
> ain't there it's a waste of time.  Go back and re-read your own post.  I am
> FOR advancement, but you don't seem to get it.

No, I don't get why a 16 bit scancode is important.  Where is this new
scancode going to be returned?  And when is someone going to use it?

> Also do you need to post that twice and in HTML?  geesh

It wasn't posted twice.   Common convention on a reply is to reply to
both the poster and the list it was posted to.  Thats what almost all
mail readers will do for mailing lists.  I get two copies of things from
this list all the time when someone else sends a reply because they do
it the same way.

As for HTML, using HTML in email is common, and the default, and if I'm
not mistaken, my mail reader encodes the message in both ASCII and HTML
using MiME-multipart encoding so that the mail-reader can choose which
encoding it would like to display.  If your mail-reader doesn't have
that capability, and you can't read html or strip it, or get access to
the ASCII part of the message, then I suppose its my problem and not
your outdated mail reader.  Who is for advancement again?  I think being
able to handle HTML in your mail is a lot more important than a keyboard
with more than 256 keys!

Just for you, I've made sure this is in plain ASCII, and only sent to
the list, so you won't get it twice.

-- Evan