Re: [MiNT] New AES keyboard messages

Evan K. Langlois napisał(a):
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:03 +0200, Adam Kłobukowski wrote:
Why do you call that solution a hack? Is there anything unclean here?

No, I was joking.

Ok, sorry, I was answering to your post in late evening when my snese of humor was already sleeping ;)

The basic idea is, that on lowest level, all keys on Atari keyboard are the same (maybe with exception of Caps Lock, but I'm unsure of that), ie, on lov level there is no difference wether we push SHIFT or R or F1 or UNDO.

I was trying to find a solution that would require the minimum of
modification to current API.  My suggestion was a method to return the
information you requested without breaking existing programs or changing
how evnt_multi() was presented to the user.

New proposed events do not fit into the old scheme. W keep the old API the same, to not brake the old clients, and we are defining a new one for our new messages. New clients can benefit of that - and, no, in my opinion we do not ned, moreover, we should not follow the old API in every possible aspect. It should be rendered extensible. Well, yes, I think that for consistency we should use event_multi, for a consistency - and it does not limit us that much.

My idea is to return rather scancodes then ascii codes. Not raw scancodes - it should be inteligent enough to send the same code for (for example) Z key, no matter what keyboard (German, UK, US) is used.

Actually, the scan codes are based on key position if I remember
correctly, so Z is actually one of the ones that would be different on
different keyboards.   My suggestion preserved both, exactly like the
existing API.

As I already said - we should not follow the old API in every aspect.

1. It needs different handling for different group of keys, so all routines must be more complicated and more CPU time hungry.

How does it require different handling?  The only ones that are treated
even slightly different is the existing control, alt, and shift keys
since they already have their own bits in the field I suggested to
overload for representing whether a key was being reported as being
pressed down or released.

You need aditional condition, and fiddling with bits and stuff. With returning scancodes we do exactly the same thing, no matter what key was pressed.

2. If we ever would want to add support for non-atari keyboards, we could run out of options

If you have a keyboard with more than 256 keys, its going to break the
existing evnt_multi() and evnt_keybd() as well.

Well, more thatn 256 keys on a single keyboard is hard to find, I agree. But most modern keyboards these days has some multimedia keys, or just power on/off keys, and that do not fit very well into ascii.

with my solution he have up to 65536 keys but no modifiers, what is better?

I've not seen your solution or how you are going to implement it and fit
it into evnt_multi()

Well, this solution is still a theory - that is the reason for this discussion.

5. You can still get ascii codes with usual (present) keyboard handling.

Getting them both at once can be useful - use the ascii code if present,
else use the scan code

As a ompromise we could return dwo words: a scancode in first, ascci +
modifiers in 2nd, how do that sound?

<cut>
This involves constant poling for events, and eats CPU time.

What?!?  No it doesn't.  You only get events when something changes.  I
never poll!  Why do you think this is polling?

Ok, my mess, sorry.

I know that keyboard drivers do not eat much CPU, but we should always care.

I don't understand what you are reffering to.

I'm trying to design it as powerfull, as extendable and as less CPU hungry as possible.

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
atari@gabo.pl