Re: [MiNT] usage of wind_calc()

Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

Hi,

I'm not at all an expert in (Xa)AES system calls, like the guys posting messages in this thread. Most of the technical stuff in this discussion I don't understand.

But I want to add my opinion from a user's point of view.
My first experience with a multitasking AES for MiNT was the one that was distributed with Atari MultiTOS when I bought my Falcon030. This MiNT/AES was so buggy and unstable that I removed it from my harddisk very soon.

Some time after that I bought and installed N.AES. This was a big improvement. Much more stable, and really usable.

XaAES started to become a serious and free alternative for N.AES thanks to the work of Henk Robbers. He removed a lot of bugs and added features that made XaAES usable with cleanly programmed older as well as new Gem apps, and even with many older apps that were NOT programmed very cleanly.

Then XaAES was ported to gcc and moved to the SpareMiNT CVS where it was picked up by some of the guys discussing in this thread.

The current situation is that XaAES has improved greatly in terms of stability, speed, and features. In that order.

What's the point I want to make? I really like the way XaAES is the way it is. I want an XaAES that is light, stable, and fast. If you want to add new features - like theme support and even the possibility to change themes on the fly - go ahead. I don't want to spoil your fun. But please please be careful. Don't introduce (too many) new bugs, keep things compatible with older apps that work fine now, and don't create an oversized XaAES that will use too much processor time and memory on original Atari machines. (Same story for the FreeMiNT kernel, but that is not what this thread is about).

Very nice and wise words.

It is my recommendation to #if anything that goes beyond N.AES
functionality.

XaAES will come in 2 flavours:
1: N.AES compatible. A version that will not grow further. (XaAES)
2: A version that may grow and become as powerfull as the developers
   are willing to make it. (X.AES)

No developers fun will be spoiled.
People with older hardware can keep using a very good, fast and fully
maintained AES

Needless to say that the 2 flavours are produced from the same
source tree. Both fully subject to bugfixing and improvements.

--
Groeten; Regards.
Henk Robbers.    mailto:h.robbers@chello.nl