Re: [MiNT] replying to the mintlist

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 17:54 -0400, Lonny Pursell wrote:

> > Use group reply.

This causes duplicates.  Look for a "Reply to List" function that some
mail readers support.

> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> Ah yes the "G" key.  I made that mistake this morning.
> Thanks for the url.

The author makes some really bad arguments.  He complains about
"everyone else" using a bad mailer, but then the list of steps he must
take to post a reply when reply-to is munged is so obviously slanted to
the fact that his mail reader isn't very user-friendly that I have to
question the rest of his logic.  He's basically come up with a very
reasonable sounding way of saying, "Hey, I do things this way, so
everyone should make it easy for me".  For example, the "don't know if I
lost the original email address" argument is just silly - don't tell me
you have to write it down and don't know if its right because there is
an X-original-sender header.

If you were going to mangle the headers, X-original-sender stays the
same - the original From: address.  The Reply-To: is moved into the
From: address and the list address is placed into the Reply-To: field.
This would indeed make replying to an individual a bit more difficult
(You'd use group reply and remove the list name, or click the person's
email in the From: field to respond directly), but it should be up to
the people on the list - make it work for people that use it!  I don't
care one way or the other personally.

The real feature that I think people are looking for is "Reply to List",
which not all mailers support.  Evolution has it, but it doesn't seem to
behave any differently and its not on the toolbar so it gets overlooked
and so it mailing everyone like the Reply To Group is likely a bug.
Horde webmail has a Reply To List which I believe works.

If anyone has an issue with getting the duplicates from me because the
message went to the list AND to their own address then I'll file a bug
report for the Reply To List: feature and see why its not working right.
But also, all messages have a message-id tag, so if as mailer recieves a
dupe, it doesn't have to show it to you, so its a problem on both ends.
It knows the message is a dupe!   Evolution doesn't handle that one
either though, grrr.