Re: [MiNT] Re[2]: Re[3]: usage of wind_calc()

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Zorro wrote:

> What provides the current MiNT kernel better that the MagiC one for the
> *final user*?

Hello,

I'm a final user, let's see.

a) Filesystems - I wouldn't replace TOS with an OS  without a
filesystem that can be used for a multiuser OS (eg, permissions). To me,
VFAT is just a hack to have LFN.

b) Loadable device drivers - important not to get unneeded crap into my
kernel, I load what I like with proper kernel extensions, no
TSR-hacks.

c) Networking. Despite MagicNet these days which has a few of the mintnet
tools ported, it's nowhere near how nice sparemint works with daemons
and init scripts.

d) The OS. The GNU OS around the kernel is essential, there is nothing
like it for MagiC, and it's the main "killer" part of FreeMiNT if
you ask me.

e) Modularity. The AES is kept from the kernel and we have a choice of at
least FIVE AESes to use. MagiC's stuck with one, not matter if you like
that or not, there's nothing you can change.

These are a few larger things that each of them alone would want me away
from MagiC and use FreeMiNT instead. Then there are lots of smaller
things, such as how well the multitasking works, how buggy it is (MagiC
eats my IDE hdds!) and so on.

There you have it, a regular user. I've never programmed one line to
FreeMiNT so I'm for sure that "final user" that you are looking for.

--
Anders Eriksson
ae@dhs.nu     http://www.dhs.nu/