Re: [MiNT] Compiling with gcc: ld eats all ram

Miro Kropacek napisał(a):

>>> Since this particular issue is a linker memory issue, there's one way
>>> you might be able to get around it.
>>

>> Yep, I saw this too. For example, linking the SDL library (libsdl.a
>> 250Ko file) requires up to 10MB for ld.
>>

> I think you're too unfair to gcc - it's true it takes more memory than
> pure c :) but simple hello world is compilable. Try to decrease harddisk
> cache to minimum and compile it in console, not under XaAES/N.AES. I
> coded even more complicated programs with 14 MB falcon in this way.

If you're doing it under AES and with Toswin2, keep in mind that you'll
have only 10 megs (from stating 14MB) left. Just kernel, AES, decent
desktop and Toswin2 will eat lots of ram.

Before I got CT60 my solution was to run only kernel and bash
(INIT=u:/bin/bash) and I was able to compile pretty demanding things
(like FreeMiNT kernel for example).

IMHO, the biggest problem in AES environment is not the memory ammount,
but fragmentation, Mikro, whats with your VM project?

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
atari@gabo.pl