Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT1.16.x/XaAES on 68000-machine

Hi,

just want to mention that I finally got FreeMiNT1.16.1/kernel-XaAES working on the MegaST4! The only change I made, was that I first softloaded TOS2.06 with a program SELTOS (to replace the ROM TOS1.04), and then started MiNT with that softloaded TOS ... for success I also needed fVDI to get kernel-XaAES going, with NVDI or VDI from Atari-ROM XaAES won't start on the (this?) MegaST4 (giving the behaviour I described in a previous post).

Perhaps someone with a TOS2.06-machine could verify that fVDI/FreeMiNT1.16.1/XaAES immediately works on their system? For that, one would only need to install on the boot-drive fVDI with the bitplane-driver and the mint kernel/XaAES from the 1.16.1-release (starting the xaloader.prg from mint.cnf, and I would also recommend not to load any xfs/xdd to save memory; also I remember I had to rename xaaes.km to xaaes030.km and xaaes000.km to xaaes.km, but I'm not exactly sure it was needed with 1-16-1 or a 1-16-cur).

Working with the machine, I see that the kernel-XaAES supplied with FreeMiNT1.16.1 is much faster than the last standalone XaAES (I would almost say it feels 'snappy' :) - and that was the whole point for me to get MiNT1.16.1/kernel-XaAES working on an ST...!

regards,
Dennis

Op 8-jan-06 om 18:59 heeft Dennis van der Burg het volgende geschreven:

Op 8-jan-06 om 12:20 heeft Dennis van der Burg het volgende geschreven:

(b) 1.16.1 official (11 oct 2004)

The startup of FreeMiNT goes OK, after which XaAES is started (with xaeloader.prg from within the mint.cnf), which seems to go OK initally, but then I end up with a blank screen saying 'press any key to continue ...'. Doing that gives me a blinking cursor in the left upper screen, after which the system reboots.
I have included a piece from the xaaes.log below.

---- snip ----
Screenmode is: 1
Physical work station opened: 1
v_exit_cur ok!
v_opnvwk failed (0)!
k_init failed!
press any key to continue ...
Cleaning up ready to exit ...

If I start NVDI4 before MiNT, XaAES (AESSYS) gives a bus-error just after "Screenmode is: 1", and the text "pid0 (): assert (`curproc->stack_magic == STACVK_MAGIC') failed at line 505 of ../sig_mach.c." appears.

best regards,
Dennis

A small update on (b): if I start the latest fVDI (68000-version) before MiNT, XaAES loads all the way and I get to the Tera-desktop. With keyboard shortcuts I can open/close folders etc, but as soon as I move the mouse I get "pid0 (): assert (`curproc->stack_magic == STACK_MAGIC') failed at line 505 of ../sig_mach.c." again and the system freezes ...

Dennis