Re: [MiNT] Live sparement repository (was: RE: [Aranym-dev] [ARANYM.XIF] Hangs with 1.16.1 MiNT kernel)

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 15:45 -0500, Standa Opichal wrote:
> Hi Mark!
>
> It the question really about whether someone uses 68000? I would rather say
> that your repository is simply not 'live enough'. What I mean is that I
> would be more then grateful to have a place where I would drop my new
> .src.rpm and it would continuously build everything for whatever setting the
> particular repository(ies) have without me worrying about any setup I need
> for that.
>
> So once you have everything automated then you don't need to worry about
> whether it is the new kernel or an old one. Once there is an .src.rpm
> package the machinery would build every dependency and you would just be
> loved by everyone.
>
> Don't wait for anything to be done/patched. _You_ can work on the machinery
> that does not have any such dependency... right?
>
> Best Regards
>
> STanda

Best I can imagine it is a scenario similar to this:
I have 2 dual xeon compaq DL360 servers.  This would be suitable for
running four aranym instances that run the different build profiles.  We
could probably use some easy scripts to handle the automated builds.
Okay so change sparemint so that you just drop an .src.rpm and it
creates the binary build for the repository, and then perhaps emails you
the build output.

I don't think we could easily use a cross compiler to get the job done
in our situation.

As far as the dev.sparemint.org codebase, it's very close to ready to
go.  I redid the codebase quite a bit.  Also the sparemint tool (sum or
whatever new name we choose) can now do console based updates and
package search/installs and gui based search/installs (no updates yet).
The gui is still weak, but we don't necessarily have to market that as
of yet.

Part of the reason I waited is because I'd like some direction from the
leaders.  Frank originally said that he wanted a new dynamic website
like I am building, but when the time came to make the switchover and go
live with it to replace the old, nobody really spoke up.  I know it
still has bugs, but it's quite usable as of now.

I also recently had to make the tough decision for the package upload
procedure and I decided that rather than the roundabout ftp server to
webserver method that I am using now, I'm instead going to mandate http
upload.  So hopefully highwire can get that sooner or later, and for now
people will have to use lynx to upload packages to the new website.

I guess since gcc 3.3.6 is done and binutils 2.16 is done I can probably
work to start bootstrapping a new system on my falcon.

God if we had real chroot it would make life soooo easy.  I could run
all the builds off my falcon/aranym installation and we'd have a more
typical build farm where you can just drop in another imaged machine to
increase capacity.  (hint hint)

Thanks,
Mark