[MiNT] Keyboard mapping on Milan with mint 1.16.2

Sorry if this was asked before ... didn't find a suitable posting ...

How do I get a correct keyboard mapping on a Milan? I'm missing the Umlauts ä,ö.ü as well as ß and so on. I don't get these caracters in bash, qed and papyrus for example. The only program I've found so far which seems to use the right keyboard mapping is Tempus Word 5.4. using this program I get ä,ö,ü,ß (but TW is not stable om mint+Milan so I can't use it - another story). Strange ... so most programs don't use the right keys but some seem to get them. Are there some more recent APIs which TW may use while others don't? How can I get correct mappings for all programs?

I'm running a mint 1.16.2 on a Milan 060/50. I have a German PS/2 keyboard attached to it using a simple PS/2-DIN adapter. According to NVRAM.CPX my TOS is set do "D" meaning German. I don't have a keyboard.tbl file in my mint folder. And I did not find any place to adjust keyboard mappings in my mint environment.

Thanks for any help.

Martin WW