Re: [MiNT] gcc 4.2.2 patch

Quoting Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>:

p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk writes:

Quoting Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>:

If you want a different name just specify it explicitly via
--build/--host/--target.  There is nothing wrong with putting the
release in the canonical name.

Completely off-topic but the word "canonical" is used in American
software literature and I have never worked out what they think it
means.

According to Chambers English Dictionary:

"canonical adj
1 according to, of the nature of or included in a canon.
2 regular.
3 orthodox or accepted.
4 ecclesiastical."

None of which looks likely in the context it is used in.

Both regular and accepted fits quite well here.

If that is what they mean then it doesn't add much to the meaning
of the sentences. It may as well be left out.

Sorry, I am one of those English pedants ;-) I'll go back to sleep.