Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.2.2 - Keith's Latest Progress (or lack thereof)

Hello Vincent,

Share it !
If the binaries are available, a lot of more people will try the new GCC, they will fix the sources of their programs for it, they will find more bugs, we will fix them, and we will have a better compiler for making better software !

The best form for binary distribution (even for testing) would be a RPM package. However I don't know (yet) how to build them.

I *could* try to build an RPM, especially since I already have a native source tree all built and sitting on my Falcon, I would have to do a lot of cheating, but its better than letting RPM run for 24+ hours going thru the whole process again.

I was actually looking at trying to build a Binutils RPM just before I got this email. I guess I might still try to do that. Just have to make sure I have the current patches.

The big question is do I create an RPM that just goes ahead and replaces the installed GCC 2.95?

I am building ScummVM natively (to see if the thunk problems still exist with GCC 4.2.2, already had one wierd issue with configure, their custom configure did not like the cross compiled g++ (doing g++ -dumpversion, reported bad version when looking for 2.95 or > up to 4.9.9) but liked the native compiled one, really wierd, but thats something I'll look into more later. I might start with binutils tonight when it completes.

As far as I can tell, RPMs basically have to be built on the machine natively, I have seen it said that they can be cross compiled, but never found any good documentation on how to do it.

Keith