Re: [MiNT] strip

Vincent Rivière a écrit :
Frank Naumann wrote:
From the things I heard on the mailinglist, are the binutils 2.18 stable and work together with gcc 2.95? If yes we can easily update just the binutils. Then there is no conflict at all :-)

Yes, binutils 2.18 seems stable, there is no known problem with them. GCC 2.95 works fine with it.

I would be very happy if binutils 2.18 is adopted as the official MiNT version.

However, I made 2 important things in the 2.18 patch.
They need some discussion before it can be widely used.

1) Alignment.
GCC 2.95 (and current GCC 4.2.3) have a default alignment of 2 bytes. However, binutils 2.13 have a default alignment of 4 bytes. I configured binutils 2.18 for a default alignement of 2, in order to be consistent with GCC. It works perfectly, no byte is wasted. However, that default alignment of 2 might not be the best choice for our platform. That's why I opened a new thread about alignment some time ago. Now I will have more time to continue that discussion.
If binutils 2.13 alignment is 4, we should stay at 4, the problem should appear when compil dynamic lib or software using dynamic lib . I suppose aligment of PureC is too at 4 So compatibility mix of older binutils PureC with new binutils will be broken. For example if I compil screen.ldg with new gcc and use it with my softwares probably it will crash.

Olivier