Re: [MiNT] RPM's

Am Freitag, 25. April 2008 schrieb Alan Hourihane:
> O.k.
>
> I've made quite some progress on testing my setup with some of the
> latest GNU utilities.
>
> I think I'll be moving onto creating RPM's for them next.
>
> One problem is that the current RPM's are very old and don't match up to
> the new ones. Such that coreutils has replaced two or three of it's
> older siblings. So using rpm -U to upgrade, gets tricky. And it'll end
> up being a case of rpm -e, and then rpm -i to remove/reinstall.
>
> I'm wondering if it makes sense to target Fedora 8's (or 9's) RPM's and
> start to build up from those. Rather than rolling our own.
>
> I've got patches to a lot of the tools, so dropping them into existing
> spec files shouldn't be too hard.
>
> Any suggestions on a base RPM distro ?
>
> Alan.

IIRC most sparemint specs were made from redhat source rpms originally.

I suppose redhat/fedora specs are easier to port than e.g. openSUSE, which use
quite SUSE specific stuff sometimes (macros). Don't know details on how other
distros' rpms differ, but there are quite some based on RPM, e.g. Mandriva

Edgar