Re: [MiNT] Gentoo/FreeMiNT

Alan Hourihane wrote:
On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 14:34 +0100, Miro Kropacek wrote:
        There may be some minor overlap with the toolchain stuff, but
        the rest
        is not common at all.
And isn't this everything about toolchain stuff? You say you want to
make gentoo because of easy maintenance and so on. Those guys also
have to solve things like own repository, automatic building of source
packages (how do they do that? using cross compiler? aranym?),
distribution of updates etc etc. And if, in the end, we use
m68k-atari-mint-gcc and mintlib instead of m68k-unknown-linux-gcc and
glibc, *this* is a minor thing. So it's maybe more similar than we
think. I can imagine pretty well shared source-based repository with
patches for each platform and separate binary-based repository which
will be updated in the same way. Only (cross-)compiler / libc will be
different. Sounds quite cool in my opinion.

Oh, and cross compiling can be nice.

But in some situations, the build process may require runtime checks to
determine correct behaviour, and this may not be possible under a cross
compilation environment.

I'm using "distcc" to essentially use the gcc frontend cross compile
enviroment on the faster box, and then the linking/runtime stuff is done
on the Atari.
This is something I've always wanted to try. distcc + fast pc with cross compiler = compiling on atari at lightspeed ;) Now gentoo is more interesting to me due to its great distcc support.

Thanks,
Mark