Re: [MiNT] Comments on the vbcc manual

Hi,

On Monday 05 January 2009, Frank Wille wrote:
> > Btw. Programs compiled against MiNTlib work also on plain TOS, so the
> > users might expect this also from the programs compiled against the
> > vbcc library MiNT version.  The section on MiNT could mention whether
> > this is true.
>
> Yes, it is true, of course. I added a note about it.
>
> The documentation should be much better, but I was in a hurry before
> the release. :)
>
> Do you know if there is a useable tmpfile() or clock() implementation
> in MiNT (or even plain TOS)? I guess that clock() could be done
> easily for TOS, as there is no real multitasking.

I haven't really used (programmed) Atari or MiNT for almost ten years[1],
so I don't know, but I added CC to the MiNT mailing list.

On quick googling I found out that MiNTlib initialization code has something
for (emulating?) clock().  I think some "emulated" value could be better
than none at all because I've seen quite a lot of (old) code that for
example initializes the random generator with clock().

As to tmpfile(), maybe vbcc library could have a somewhat insecure
default implementation for it?

Btw. does somebody on the list know whether anybody's already ported GEMlib
for the vbcc compiler?

	- Eero

[1] I follow the mailing list though and have intended to check MiNT
     out again when Hatari emulator HD image support improves a bit...