Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.4.0 MiNT Native Compiler and Partial PS3/Linux Cross Tools

Hello Mark,

No use of the Cell at all yet. I was trying see if I could target anything with it, could get 5 or 6 threads going, but the RAM just is not there. I have the SDK for Cell use, and it has a Newlib backend, but GMP would not even start to build for it with the cross compiler. So far, the only Linux item I know using anything Cell is there is code in the SDL SVN for offloading the video to the Cell, since Sony disabled the video card.

Anyway, if I remember right, the PPU is a 2 core, thread optimized PPC @ 3.2 Ghz, but I could be wrong about that. It compiles faster than my Laptop/Cygwin (Like 1.5 Ghz something), but I still have not totally got Linux setup on my 'Main' PC, which is a 2 Core AMD, each chip @ 2.1 Ghz.

Anyway, for a $600 system (I have the original 60 GB PS3, bought it right before they discontinued it) it makes a damn good dev box. And I can still play games on it (have a few) and use it for Blu Ray movies.

I'm thinking the GCC Cross Compiler took about 20 minutes to compile, and thats having it run 5 threads because of so many configure runs.

Anyway, I'm back to working on getting a static build of the Binutils, so I can post those in a day or so....

Keith

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Mark Duckworth wrote:

Vincent Rivière wrote:
Hello, Keith.

> http://www.radix.net/~atari/mint/gcc-4.4.0-mint-1.tar.bz2

So you have built the native GCC 4.4 for MiNT on your your PS3.
Amazing !

And you provide most parts of the MiNT cross-compiler for PS3.
What a huge work !

Many thanks for porting that software.
Now we have to test your native package :-)

The cool factor is a great motivator :-P Good job Keith! But the question is.. How fast is it!? Does it make use of the cell at all? I don't know if there is any way for generic code to benefit from the cell chip.

Thanks,
Mark