Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.4.0 for ColdFire

Petr Stehlik wrote:
you can try right now to compile your own software for ColdFire in order to check the compatibility with the ColdFire.

I don't understand how you meant this. Will the compiler fail to compile
a clean C code with the -mcpu=5475? Or what kind of ColdFire
incompatibilities the compiler might find?

Hello, Petr.

My remark was a bit silly, because there are actually no known incompatibilities with C programs :-) Any program compilable with GCC 4.x should also compile with the -mcpu=5475 option as well, and run fine on ColdFire.

If a program uses assembler sources or inline assembler, the instructions incompatible with ColdFire will be printed on screen with errors. Then the sources can be fixed with #ifdef __mcoldfire__ around the offending instructions. I patched the MiNTLib like that.

Regardless to what CPU is used, a well know source of incompatibilities is GCC 4.x itself. It is a lot more strict. So when sources compile fine with GCC 2.95, they frequently need some cleanup to be compilable with GCC 4.x. Fortunately, most open-source software has already been patched for that (most Linux distributions use GCC 4.x). It is not the case for most Atari software.

--
Vincent Rivière