Re: [MiNT] Native gcc 4.4.1 and binutils 2.19.1

Hi,

On Thursday 06 August 2009, Miro Kropacek wrote:
> Btw, I've got such feeling stripping is allowed also on libs but one
> must use another switch (i.e. not strip -s libc.a but something else)
> ?

>From the strip manual page:
---------
       -s
       --strip-all
           Remove all symbols.

       -g
       -S
       -d
       --strip-debug
           Remove debugging symbols only.
---------

Btw. On Debian stripping is done by the packaging tools Debhelper dh_strip
script which automatically does the right thing.  It also automatically puts
the debug symbols to a separate debug symbols file (/usr/lib/debug/<path to
corresponding binary>) and adds the debug symbol file path & CRC to
the binary's .gnu_debuglink section when so requested
(with "--dbg-package=<package name>"dh_strip option).

Gdb etc. will then automatically find the debug symbols if they're installed
and one doesn't need to have two sets of binaries, one with debug symbols
and ones without.

Doesn't MiNT RPM & related tools support anything like this?

(Nowadays Ubuntu and RedHat build machines do these kind of debug symbol
packages automatically and put them to a special repo.  As having debug sym
packages almost doubles the number of packages, having them in default
repo would slow down apt etc. when they check for updates and dependencies.
With separate repo one can enable it only when needed.)

	- Eero