Re: [MiNT] Falcon 030 and mint memory protection, bootable DOS partitions?

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 11:57 +0200, wp1064075-ole wrote:
> Hello to the list!
>
> I'm new to Mint (and i paused doing atari stuff for about 15 years).

Welcome back.

> Yesterday I installed sparemint 1-16-1 onto my falcon.  It works "well"
> when, but only after switching off the memory protection -  is this known
> or "normal"?

I think it's been more to do with the tools rather than memory
protection itself. More recent updates fix a lot of problems from the
1-16-1 base. If you look at my page at http://www.freemint.org there are
fairly recent snapshots of 1-17 that you could overlay and see if things
improve.

> Problem then is the low resolution, but I think there are tools to set it
> to better values.

Right, that's just a desktop issue. But the Falcon is pretty limited in
it's resolutions compared to todays PC's. You'll get 640x480 without too
much effort though, and anything higher usually requires specific
programs or hardware additions.

> Another problem is the disk setup. I tried SCSITOOLS (HUSHI) and ICD
> tools... altough both are able to create DOS (FAT) partitions, my linux
> won't read the partition table, of course that stops linux from reading a
> partition....
>
> If I create the table and partition with linux, the atari tools say that
> there is no partition that can be used for booting.Because of that I'm
> currently booting from floppy disk, loading HD Drivers, then loading mint.
> That way i got an IDE CF Card that can work with MINT and Linux... but I'm
> not able to boot from the CF card :( Is there anything that can be
> suggested to this problem?

I'd really recommend buying HDDriver in this case. It can create dual
TOS/DOS partitions and handles CF cards too.

Alan.