Re: [MiNT] rpm brace expansion

Hi,

On Saturday 16 January 2010, Vincent Rivière wrote:
> Mark Duckworth wrote:
> > On modern platforms (all of them) sh is just a symlink to bash.

That has been true for a long time on Linux, but several years ago
Ubuntu switched from Bash to normal POSIX shell as its /bin/sh.
Debian is doing same, I think for the next release. I assume most
Linux distros are doing the same if they already haven't.

>> My assumption is that this is implicitly required for an (rpm) build
>> machine but I will not setup the packages this way as a user may want
>> to save the memory.
>
> Furthermore, recently I made a test where I saw that running makefiles on
> EasyMiNT with bash is significantly slower than with sh.

That's the reason why all Linux distros (which are run on fast PCs...) are
switching away from Bash as /bin/sh & distro essential.  Bash is an
interactive shell and has therefore large startup (and memory footprint)
cost due to readline etc.  They saved quite a lot in startup performance &
some memory by switching to a standard POSIX shell for scripts (Bash is
still default for user logins).

On Debian derived systems there's a script in the "devscripts" package
for checking Bashisms on scripts called "checkbashisms".

	- Eero