Re: [MiNT] LDG vs. SLB vs. custom OVL-thingies

Peter Persson a écrit :
Hi,

What are the pro's and cons of LDGs, SLBs and custom overlays (as used by Highwire, CAB, aICQ and others).

My personal impressions:
- SLB's are supported by the OS (MagiC, FreeMiNT and TOS w. BetaDOS) - yet noone seems to want to use them nowadays. - LDG's are not supported by the OS (in fact it seems most apps that use them will crash if memory protection is enabled??)

LDG work in protected mode except official ldg.prg that is not perfectly compatible with memory protected (I have a version working somewhere on my old computer I have to find it)

LDG have self include documentation if programmer think to use it. LDG are simple software and can be launch as simple software if need, this usefull for debug and tests by programmers.

LDG softwares can run anywhere even if nothing is installed even on TOS 1.x

- Custom OVLs - I have some personal experience with them since writing the GIFOVL to AtarICQ. It seems to work, but it makes me feel dirty inside.

So, are people using LDGs in favour of SLB? If this is the case, would it be beneficial to have support for this in the OS?
And the LDG + memory protection issue - why is this?
For this job there is alway's a good reason to add to system, this is memory management, simple application have no sure way to lock a memory bloc if a software allocate a memory bloc and crash there is no way to forbid destruction by the system, even Mint SHM not lock memory (I don't remember if Mint share the memory or do a copy, I think it share it). This is a real big problem to share memory to be able lock we should do a server, if it crash or kill all applications using libs will crash.

Regards

Olivier
best regards

-- PeP