Re: [MiNT] Importing recent math library into mintlib

Patrice Mandin wrote:
Neither fdlibm nor pml provides these functions, so could it be
possible to port a recent math library, and integrate it in the mintlib
distribution, like it was done for the socket library?

Yes, having a complete and reliable libm is a necessity for building serious math software for MiNT.

I have started working with PML because I was not aware of fdlibm. PML seems to work fine for 68000 and ColdFire, but I got some wrong results for 68020-60 and I didn't investigate further. Also, sometimes it displays error messages on the standard output, it is a bad behaviour, and it inflates the size of the final executable by linking stdio stuff. Currently I distribute PML with my cross-compiler, but I want to get rid of it.

fdlibm has been the standard libm for MiNT for ages, I believe it is correct. However, I have never tried to compile it with GCC 4.x. Alan probably did that for Gentoo.

Finally, in any libm, there should not be anything specific to MiNT. So the best choice would be to choose some libm project which is currently maintained for other m68k operating systems, to port it to MiNT if some minor adjustments needs to be done, then integrate our changes upstream and keep it up to date. Possible candidates may be the Newlib libm or the xBSD one. I don't know these libraries myself.

--
Vincent Rivière