Re: [MiNT] Keyboard-problem with XaAES helmut-branch

From: "Eero Tamminen" <oak@helsinkinet.fi>
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 11:44 PM
To: <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] Keyboard-problem with XaAES helmut-branch

On Monday 05 July 2010, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> Why is this translation necessary? On Atari/TOS, cr+lf is the norm
> anyway.

But toswin is also for unix-apps.

It is necessary to create a mode that does the translation without
interpreting Ctrl-S/Q etc. I don't know if this is already there or if it
has to be written. But the related code in the kernel is not very easy to
read.

As toswin handles the input/output to these apps, why it shouldn't
be the thing setting up the input correctly?  Did I miss something?

How does the console know when lf is supposed to be crlf or just lf? It can't. Same with COOKED mode. Is a plain lf possible in this mode? I'm not sure if this is something that should be fixed. If it's fixed, it should atleast be configurable, and I agree with you that this should be a feature of the console itself. In TOS, lf is a linefeed, not carriage return. I think it's wrong to change this on a global basis. Instead, people that needs this should switch the console to COOKED themselves. Since this can be done by stty as described by Helmut, this could easily be done from mint.cnf by those who needs this feature.

Jo Even