Re: [MiNT] Samba client

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:16:41 , Paul Wratt <paul.wratt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM, m0n0 <ole@monochrom.net> wrote:
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 31.08.2010, 21:53 +0200 schrieb Peter Slegg
> >
> >> localhost is in there but defining another static host wouldn't help
> >> samba when dhcp is active would it ?
> >
> > At least it can help when getting messages like "host not found".
> >
> There should be a standard way to resolve your machines hostname to a
> dynamic ip (generated by dhcp). I cant think what it is atm
>
> Ole was right about your rtk0 hostname issue. Remember the rtk0 is the
> interface name, to which an IP address (an therefore a hostname) is
> bound..

Yes, I don't know why smb is using the ip name instead of the hostname.
I wondered if it should be read as <hostname>.<iface>

If the hostname is being detected as blank then this might explain it.

> The following restarts the network interface (rtk0). it works with AFROS too
>
> ifconfig rtk0 stop
> ifconfig rtk0 start
>
> or
>
> ifconfig rtk0 restart

Doesn't work here.

bash-2.05a# ifconfig rtk0 restart
unknown option restart
ifconfig [-a¦-v] [<interface name>]
         [addr <local address>] [netmask aa.bb.cc.dd]
         [dstaddr <point to point destination address>]
         [broadaddr aa.bb.cc.dd]
         [up¦down¦[-]arp¦[-]trailers¦[-]debug]
         [mtu NN] [metric NN]
         [linkNN] [-linkNN]
         [-f <option file>]

> If for some reason you cant find "the standard way" of having your
> hostname resolve to a dynamic IP for use with some network tools (like
> samba) you can always script the output of the interface into the
> tools startup procedure. This should not be needed by default though.
>
> the environment variable hostname, and /etc/hostname should contain
> the hostname for your local machine (as opposed to localhost). if you
> "ping _hostname_" it will show you the IP address it resolves to,
> which can sometimes be 127.0.0.1 (localhost)

/etc/hostname contains the line Milan

> I would tell you the exact places and steps taken at boot time for
> networking, but I can not get any internet access yet (maybe tap
> driver is too new)

Peter