Re: [MiNT] Generic tool

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:15:41 , Miro Kropacek <miro.kropacek@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well I see a few potential uses. Some examples.
> >
> I see what do you mean but is there really such amount of tools which you
> run on regular base with different parameters each time? Samba, dhcp, ...

Ubuntu has tools like this where the user can start/stop daemons. Instead
of writing a separate tool for each this would provide a generic interface
for all of them.

> these are configured only once (i.e. it doesn't matter if you write it into
> config file or into xml file), bzip & friends mostly have their GUI counter
> parts (ArcView comes into my mind) and well,

Is Arcview still maintained ? It does have limitations.

> 'ls' is more needed in bash
> than anywhere else (for GUI you have desktop explorer).

ls was just a silly, simple example.

>Other use cases can
> be easily solved by "Set Application" desktop dialog where one can define
> default parameters etc..

We don't have such an app, that is why I made this suggestion.
One app instead of many, the xml files can be created without needing
to write an app. It has a lot of advantages.

Peter