[MiNT] Update program for MiNT packages.

Hi,
I've been thinking of upgrading my program Qextract to include rpm and I also considered the possibility to use it in combination with wget to download and install mint packages through a nice gem interface of sorts. However the way I understand it, it would have to be a cooperative effort with the person that would maintain the packages so that I could get the data I need for the program. Network programming isn't something I am good at.
So here are the questions:
a. Is there a need for this program or is something else in the works?
b. What kind of format will be selected for the mint packages and how can data about what's new or available be gathered from the atari side?

Thanks
Christos