Re: [MiNT] PCI Ethernet boards drivers for MiNT

on 11/12/10 4:20 AM, Peter Slegg wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:17:59 -0500, Lonny Pursell <atari@bright.net> wrote:
>>
>> on 11/11/10 5:35 AM, Peter Slegg wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to see a wireless ethernet driver :-)
>>
>> You can make any Atari wireless with one of these gadgets:
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Link-DWL-810-Wireless-Ethernet-Used-XBOX-360-/23054730
>> 5538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35adb0b442
>>
>> Of course this requires the machine have an ethernet port to begin with,
>> like and EtherNEC or such. Use one of these my on TT030 as a matter of fact.
>>

> Yes I have used WAP boxes and the like before but in this case I
> am trying to reduce the wiring clutter not add to it ;-) I live
> in a really small British house.

But that's exactly one of the selling points of these devices, not having to
run ethernet long distances, less clutter. Lol  I don't find the crossover
cable and adapter nearly as bad as trying to run 50 feet of ethernet to my
TT.  ;-)

> Plus, if the Milan had 802.11 then I could move the adsl box to nearer
> the telephone access point.

> I don't know anything about coding at the driver level but has anyone
> looked into wireless drivers ?

Seeing how none exist for the ST, my guess is no.  Its hard enough to get a
bog standard one working, doubtful anyone will do it, even in the near
future.  Not to mention they keep changing the wireless standards, which may
or may not complicate porting such a thing.

--
Lonny Pursell    http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/