Re: [MiNT] Idea for boot sequence

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 22:30 +0200, Peter Slegg wrote:
> > Absolutely not. You will still load the incorrect xaaes.km. The obvious
> > and simple solution is to simply reboot with the correct kernel. Then
> > fix the problem - whatever it is - and reboot again.
>
> It might be "incorrect" but who cares as long as it works, just chuck out
> a warning and get on with booting.

Peter - the symlink will still point to the exact same xaloader, and the
kernel will be the same. Nothing will change - except that you will load
different configuration files and xdd/xfs/xifs. However, if you use the
incredibly useful XBoot (or similar tools) you just select the correct
kernel for the system folder you wish to use. That's it. Things will now
work. If they don't, they certainly won't by mixing kernels with system
folders for another version.

> > > People seem to be happy with having hack their way out of non-booting
> > > situations. I was just suggesting a simple change that would make it
> > > infinitely more user friendly if/when it goes wrong.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I don't see how. I see a lot of possibilities to create
> > new problems though ;)
> >

> I don't understand why you prefer a system that won't boot and forces
> you to get out the starting handle.  ;-)

Choosing a different system folder *alone* won't help you. Choosing a
different kernel+system folder most likely will. I'm sorry, but if your
suggestion was implemented it will only cause confusion.

Jo Even