Re: [MiNT] GCC define for detecting FPU

Miro Kropáček wrote:
    So I propose to patch GCC 4.x and *add* the nonstandard __M68881__
    whenever the standard __HAVE_68881__ is defined.

It's up to you. You are our gcc god for Atari platform, so it always
what you feel up to and how much work you want to invest into it... both
solutions are nice.

Here are my exact feelings.

I would like to get rid of that __M68881__ define. It is unused by the official GCC and of you search for it on Google you will only find some MiNT stuff.

However, if we don't define __M68881__, it will break some old code. This is currently the case with GCC 4.x. No one complained, so it might not be so important.

The very simple solution would be to add -D__M68881__ along with -m68020-60 when compiling old code (if we are too lazy to find and replace __M68881__ by __HAVE_68881__).

So if everyone is aware something is wrong with this __M68881__ define and some action must be done (-D__M68881__ or find and replace), it will be perfect.

On the other side, if it is very important to keep the old code "as is" (I don't think so), let's add that __M68881__ to GCC and keep that wart forever.

So personally I would like to keep GCC 4.x clean and fix old code, and maybe GCC 2.95.3 as well.

Final note: standard programs don't care about those defines, they just use math.h and expect things will work fine and fast.

--
Vincent Rivière