[MiNT] Malloc issues

Given our malloc issues and the fact that we are using find first malloc, I was wondering why we don't move on to a better method like ptmalloc http://www.malloc.de/en/index.html  I could attempt to implement this but if I'm honest I'm having trouble understanding what the current find first malloc is doing at each stage.  I keep losing track of what's going on with what variables and their names don't help.  I'd really love to understand and fix the current "free" though, if nothing else as an academic exercise.  Right now though, I don't see the problem.

Thanks,
Mark