Re: [MiNT] Firebee & FreeMiNT

is anyone able to give an short introduction on how to setup freemint with the firebee (testing environment, of course)

Currently, FreeMiNT on the FireBee requires FireTOS and a v4e kernel (such as the one found in the daily builds). FireTOS' internal XHDI driver does not support ext2 partitions yet, so currently only FAT16 partitions are usable. However, FireTOS has its own IDE/CompactFlash/SD-Card driver, no HDDRIVER is needed. Also, FireTOS features an internal fVDI.

Basically, from another computer, format a CompactFlash card with a single FAT16 partition. Setup a MiNT boot partition as usual (AUTO folder, etc.). Put it into you your FireBee, boot, and you're done.

Thanks to the 680x0 emulation abilities of FireTOS, only the kernel has to be partially patched for ColdFire (the v4e one). Other components can be classic 680x0 binaries.

Long ago, Olivier Landemarre gave me an old MiNT setup with FreeMiNT and MyAES. I have upgraded it with the latest v4e kernel and XaAES, it still works fine.

Jo Even also made a MiNT setup from scratch, it works as fine as mine.

My goal is to patch every FreeMiNT component for ColdFire only (I mean assembler files). When it is done, I replace the 680x0 component from my working setup with the ColdFire one, and check it still works. Currently, I have xaaes.km, moose*.adi, and ext2.xfs (however I can' test that one due to lack of support in FireTOS). The kernel itself still needs to be fully patched (I do it step by step). Also all the FreeMiNT makefiles needs to be reworked to allow recompilation for ColdFire.

--
Vincent Rivière