Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT binaries and CPU specific versions

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 16:13 +1200, Paul Wratt wrote:

> does it make sense to have daily builds produce a build number that is
> used in path + archive name.
>
> ie:
> if you build from cvs it defaults to "mint/_maj_-_min_-cur" (normal)
> daily builds are "mint/_maj__min_b_build_" then "mint/_maj_-_min_-cur"
> (118b0321)
> release builds are "mint/_maj_-_min_-_point_" (1-17-0 or 1-18-1 etc) (normal)
>
> this would solve the -cur problem. I had scripts and ver files to

No it won't, because as you state yourself the kernel doesn't find these
folders.

As you say yourself...

> it worked ok for a while, but after 30 kernel updates I had way to
> many build folders floating around, none of which could actually boot
> with out being renamed (to -cur) and copying/linking the correct mint
> bin

If you want to keep a bunch of builds with the same version number, MiNT
must be modified. It's probably best to write a separate loader that you
put in AUTO. This loader scans <boot>:\mint and all it's subfolders for
mint*.prg and either boots the most recent or presents a list of kernels
to choose from.

The kernel must then be modified to either accept the path to $SYSDIR on
it's command line (passed by the loader), or use the folder it's started
from as $SYSDIR.

Then the daily build can just add a suffix consisting of three digits to
$SYSDIR, e.g. "1-18-cur.034" and increment this for each build. If the
build produces a ready-to-run tree for each target, updating to or
testing a build is just a matter of copying the folder to <boot>:\mint
and reboot. It will automatically be found by the loader. If it doesn't
work you can simply delete it or choose a previous build from the loader
menu.

Jo Even