Re: [MiNT] dynamic libs

On 10/10/11 19:17, Peter Slegg wrote:
> A few weeks I was trying to build Netsurf and really didn't have
> the time to commit to trying to get all it's required libs to
> build. They have to be built specifically for Netsurf at the moment.
>
> It was frustrating because I have built rpms for some of the libs
> but couldn't get the Netsurf ones to build.
>
> I know that a full shared lib systems is difficult to achieve as
> it has been discussed a few times over the years.
>
> Previously I suggested non-shared, linked libs, were an application
> loads the libs it needs for itself only. This would be like static
> libs and once the app has loaded would be the same but has it has
> several benefits:
>
>  1 easier to update apps when a lib is updated
>  2 easier to port apps
>  3 faster building of apps
>
> I don't know if gcc is capable of supporting dynamic libs that are
> not shared.
>
> I just wondered what the current thoughts are.

If the application has support for dynamic loading of objects/libraries,
then it's not too bad to add support, both perl & python are good
examples of this. I've already done perl in the gentoo builds, and I'd
done python but reverted because it's the main component in gentoo and
there was a breakage when a depedent library was upgraded. Therefore
I've kept this completely static.

Alan.