Re: [MiNT] Update Sparemint system with Gentoo - how?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM, WongCK <wongck68@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>  What would be the best way to update my system?
>>>

>> Reinstall :-)
>>

> LOL....
> I was actually thinking that some one will say  Reinstall.....
>
> I just had a quick look at your gentoo distro, it's a somewhat familair folder structure.
> Looks like one just need to un-tar it into a ext2fs and fix the mint.cnf to point to it.
> Might just give it a spin.
>
> I guess it will take my falc an hour just to un-bz2 and un-tar it....
>
> Is emerge also available on it?
>
> rgds
> wongck

there is a thread from March I think which has some preliminary docs -
and i think there was mention of emerge usage too - from memory the
initial install needs about 2Gb - the full install needs about 20G
(with 50% space) - but check for thread - the prelim doc has those
details

Paul
I attached prelim doc
Ok, got new ARAnyM 0.9.10 + FreeMiNT 1.17.0 + GentooMiNT running after
about 3-4 hours of work (not including compiling ARAnyM)

Copy the distro archive to the drive or partition you want to use.

The distro then needs to be extracted:
tar -jxvf gentoo.tar.bz2

With ARAnyM this was easy, I used the host to do it. You could do the
same with real hardware if you have an SDcard setup.

If you are like me and download everything to your machine before
installing it, you can place all tar.bz2 package files into
/usr/portage/distfiles/ (folder does not exist by default)

For a partition image, or regular machine, you will probably need to
use EasyMiNT, and your image/partition will have to be large, because
its a 145Mb BZip2, extracting to 449.6Mb (the repo
http://gentoo.atariforge.org/files/ is currently  995Mb+ in total
before installation).

Guestimated useful partition size of 2Gb, maybe even 4Gb if you intend
it to be your main progams and dev partition also. Probably better to
use Portage to get the packages as you require them if space is an
issue as some packages are just older versions

then delete (move) the distro archive (saving 145Mb).

I also created the following empty folders on the same drive/path,
just for good measure:
lost+found
mnt
opt
root
tmp

that covers all the entries in the supplied mint.cnf with 1.17.0

In mint.cnf I uncommented the block regarding login user and
password, and used the default:
INIT=/bin/bash

The first time I got MiNT to boot, it worked.

the following are auto booted by mint.cnf:
exec u:/c/auto/clocky.prg
#exec u:/c/mint/mgw.prg
exec u:/c/mint/gluestik.prg
echo
exec u:/c/auto/zmagxsnd.prg
exec u:/c/auto/nfjpeg.prg
exec u:/c/auto/fvdi.prg
echo
exec u:/bin/bash u:/c/mint/netsetup.sh
echo

You will know if fVDI is working (I did not echo any options),
because in the above order, the networking details will be shown
at the top of the screen. I also installed:
c:\teradesk
c:\toswin2

I used the following to get MyAES to run (thanks to Olivier for
current work on new windframe skeleton):
INIT=u:/c/gemsys/myaes/myaes.tos MYAES_PATH=C:\gemsys\

NETWORKING:

The biggest problem I had was getting ARAnyM to boot EmuTOS + MiNT
(not dont use ./ for relative paths)

Also with any ARAnyM install that does not come from a deb/rpm
package, then as root, copy all aranym binaries to /sbin (or similar),
including aratapif, then:
chmod +s /sbin/aratapif

if you are getting, the following, its can be resolved as above:
host_IP: permission denied

In order to get networking running, I copied the following from AFROS
LiveCD, into c:\mint (so I could use them with other MiNT distros) :
netseup.sh
nfethcfg.ttp

I also copied a ping tool there too. (gentoo sample distro and afros
dont have one)

For a complete bootable MiNT system I would also copy over a console,
ifconfig, route and a resolve.conf or whatever tools work without
gentoo/sparemint/easymint (one of the ideas behind afros-update)

lastly dont forget to update /etc/resolv.conf

Networking for ARAnyM is easiest done with tunctrl and tap0 (not
bridging, br0). I was unable to get this to work on Windows with the
latest Tun/Tap from coLinux, maybe try older versions. Bridging may
give better results. Note you will have problems with Windows if your
router or DNS server is on 192.168.0.x move it to 192.168.1.x

If you have virtual box set up, and use it too, the a series of tap
devices bound to br0 + eth0 0.0.0.0 will be easier to manage, just
make sure the tapX (X = number) matches the one in your ARAnyM
config.