Re: [MiNT] Problem with sound card

I dont know how much help this is gonna be, but it does relate to the
age of the machine/pci

In the past I have had perfectly good PCI cards working in a system
that one day does not work. This has happened on more than one system.
Most of these systems dated to early/mid 90's to 2k

The only way around it was to re organise the cards. Some times it was
a PCI bus master issue (usually graphics), sometimes it was a specific
card in a specific slot (often network cards)

Only very seldom did it turn out to be faulty slot (could not use with
anything), or faulty cards (network cards were notorious)

I even had one system which completely failed, everything dead, yet
when it was broken into parts they all worked, even when reassembled
(probably in different order) it worked again

the only thing I can suggest is a physical clean of PCI bus and card
connectors with cotton wool/buds and isopropyl alcohol. Dust and brush
board, check exposed solder points between PCI slots and (north?)
bridge controller for corrosion (usually green/blue) or dry joints
(dull grey, and/or cracking)

sometimes re-seating the main board (re-screwing) due to poor earth
can fix the problem.

I had a machine that required total physical dis-assembly about every
12 month due to environment, cause bad earthing and poor connector
contact over time

Hope you get something out of that

BTW, if you have more than 3/4 PCI slots, use them..

Cheers

Paul

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Piotr Mietniowski <mietniow@agh.edu.pl> wrote:
> Thanks, I tried yesterday but, in this moment I have trouble about whom I
> wrote in a separate topic, I think that I reinstall MiNT on my Hades again
>
> Best Regards
> Piotr
>
> W dniu 2012-03-16 08:37, Paul Wratt pisze:
>
>> retry with 1.17, that will at least give you a better time frame of
>> when things went wrong..
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Piotr Mietniowski<mietniow@agh.edu.pl>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Another problem how to install the sound card to Hades.
>>> This is the Sound Blaster CT4750.I downloaded everything from weppage
>>> Assemsoft, the drivers GSBX,
>>> ES1371 and GSBXMixer.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, as I read on a web page AssemSoftI installed MMU_Setup.PRG
>>> split the RAM on ST-RAM and TT-RAM. In that order, are located in the
>>> AUTO
>>> MMU_SETUP,
>>> GSBX,