Re: [MiNT] gcc-performace, was: Samba working

Alan Hourihane, 11.12.2013 21:15:59:

Did you question mintlib performance recently ?

Maybe. Only on the basis of what Helmut said, but without profiling it's all up in the air.

Someone with a "fast" real atari should compare compile-speeds to rule out any jit-influence. My estimation is that the atari in aranym has about 2GHz, at least 1GHz (I think have 2x2.5), some things run even faster on it than on native cygwin, except gcc. So if the firebee runs at 266 MHz compilation of that 100 kB C-source with -O3 should not need more than 20s or so. All very inexact of course, but before I'd start looking for a reason in mintlib or somewhere else I'd want to be sure if it's worth the time. Maybe Mirkos gcc is faster, haven't tried that. All in all gcc on atari seems not the best thing to do for medium projects, unfortunately, at least on aranym.

That would be a nice task for Eero's profiling tool ;-)

--
Helmut Karlowski